Cahiers du Cinema Top 10 of 2011

1. Habemus Papam (We Have a Pope), Nanni Moretti

2. L’Etrange affaire Angélica (The Strange Case of Angelica), Manoel de Oliveira

•  The Tree of Life, Terrence Malick

4. Hors Satan (Outside Satan), Bruno Dumont

• Essential Killing, Jerzy Skolimowski

6. Melancholia, Lars von Trier

•  Un été brûlant (A Burning Hot Summer), Philippe Garrel

8. Super 8, JJ Abrams

• L’Apollonide (Souvenirs de la maison close) (House of Tolerance), Bertrand Bonello
  • Meek’s Cutoff, Kelly Reichardt

Hmmm, well of these 10 I’ve only seen The Tree of Life, Melancholia, Super 8, and Meek’s Cutoff. I’ve got The Strange Case of Angelica coming in Netflix. “Tree” is probably going to be my #1 for this year…it may drop to #3 at the lowest by year’s end. Meek’s Cutoff was pretty good though I still think Old Joy is the best thing Reichardt’s ever done. Melancholia and Super 8 sucked. I’d really like to see House of Tolerance and Outside Satan. But ummm, interesting list to say the least. (Super8?!?!?!?! WTFFF!!!!) You can always count on this magazine’s critics to keep it interesting. These guys probably watch EVERYTHING, so I’ll always at least be interested.

…and because I recently saw and really enjoyed Humanité, the trailer for Dumont’s Outside Satan

WARNING: NSFW

One Response to “Cahiers du Cinema Top 10 of 2011”

1. Haga information Says:

There’s definately a lot to find out about this topic. I really like all of the points you have made.